Re: TR3 hood rivets

To: pwiegman@ix.netcom.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR3 hood rivets
From: "TeriAnn Wakeman" <twakeman@apple.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 95 09:07:00 -0700
In message <199508221153.EAA25345@ix6.ix.netcom.com> Paul Wiegman writes:
> My 1957 TR3  [Comm # 14551L], has two brass rivets on the left and
> right side on the hood back toward the windscreen.  What's the reason
> for these, and are they correct for this car.  I've seen 2's, 3's, and
> 3A's and a very few have these rivets.

???????????????

> Should they be painted, or left in the natural brass ?

I would paint them. The factory assembled the bodies, added the engine
compartment hydrolic plumbing, brass body ID tag, then painted the entire body.
Or at least the parts they could reach (poor coverage inside the front valence
and inside top panel that covers the petrol tank , none behind the front wing
splash shields or in the wing seam overlaps)

This means the hydrolic lines in the engine compartment got painted as is the
brass body ID tag.  It's probably s safe bet that your brass rivets were painted
too

The body was later mated with the chasis that already had the drive train
mounted (they didn't care about matching body, engine, frame or commision
numbers).

I assume things like the wiring harness, wiper assy, pedals, & such got added
before the body was mated to a frame.

Rivets, lifes little mysteries.

TeriAnn