Re: Thanks..TR Overheating

To: pcarson@primenet.com (Paul A. Carson), triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Thanks..TR Overheating
From: "Chris Kantarjiev" <cak@godzilla.studio.sgi.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 1995 11:08:57 -0700 "Thanks..TR Overheating" (Jul 12, 8:21pm)
     One thing that was news to me was the interaction of the thermostat
     (original type with sleeve) and the bypass hose.  I do not have an
original
     type with a bypass hose (now, I've got something to scrounge for during my
     holiday to the U.K.), nor do I know where to get one, nor have I've seen
     one in my 18 years of TR's.

Aha. I thought as much when you said you had a new 160 thermostat. This is
probably the source of your trouble; the bypass fitting is pretty large and
will allow a good portion of your coolant to bypass the radiator, even when the
thermostat is open.

The usual suggestion is to block the bypass with a tapered (3/8 NPT, I think)
plug. Before installing the plug, drill a small (3/16- 1/4) hole in the center,
so that some water can flow through the system until the thermostat opens -
otherwise you get hot spots and steam pockets in the head (and then bad things
happen).

As far as I know, the world's supply of sleeved thermostats has dried up. You
used to be able to put them on backorder with TRF, just in case they found
some, but the part number seems to have disappeared. You might call Ken
Gillanders and see if he knows where to find any - he has good contacts across
the pond.

Name:        Ken Gillanders
Company:     British Frame and Engine
Address:     4831 Ryland Avenue