Re: Leaking but....why?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Leaking but....why?
From: gschneid@nicmad.nicolet.com (Gary Schneider)
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 95 19:02:08 CDT
Nick also wrote:
>Anyone out there have any ideas why I am losing a disturbing amount of
>brake fluid from my '75 Spitfire Master cylinder?
>At first I thought it was leaking from the lid, but a closer inspection
>revealed that it appears to be leaking at the junction of the plastic
>reservoir and the cylinder at the front.

On all of them I've seen, the outlet of the plastic reservoir seals to the
cylinder with a rubber washer. Could be a speck of dirt, pinched washer, or
more likely it didn't get replaced at all when the cylinder was changed.
(The last rebuilt master cylinder I bought didn't come with these seals,
you were on your own for making the old reservoir seal up to the new
master. Argh!)  You'll have to drain the reservoir and remove it, then the
cause will be obvious. A small turkey baster or a large syringe is useful
for draining the reservoir. If you're lucky you can find a suitable
replacement washer at a well-stocked hardware store, I've never seen them
available outside of a complete rebuild kit at several tens of dollars.
There's no pressure there except gravity, so its not real demanding of the
seal.

--
Gary Schneider, Nicolet Instrument Technologies
phone: 608-276-6172, Fax: 608-273-5061, Internet: gschneid@nicmad.nicolet.com