gt6 speed(?)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: gt6 speed(?)
From: "Nicholas Glenn E. Barlow" <barlow@cadesm32.eng.utah.edu>
Date: Tue, 9 May 1995 15:29:56 -0600 (MDT)
I recently purchased a gt6 that I'm getting ready to drive-restore.  It is
my first Triumph.  The previous owner combined the best parts from two
different mk1's (and possibly an mk2) and put it in his shed 13 years ago.
I checked all the serial #'s and everything seems to be an mk1 except it
has a gt6+ emblem on the rear (I haven't looked at the gear box # and
can't `till next week because my car is home and I'm at school...boo hoo).
The old owner could only recall putting a '65 body on a '68 frame.  From
what I've read the mk1's ended and the mk2's started both in '68.  The car
doesn't have the A arm on the rear suspension and it has the dynamo, both
indicators of an mk1... so the mystery is... why does it have a GT6+
emblem?  I'm sure the body is mk1 because of the s# and the style.  Maybe
he took the mk2's frame and threw away Its superior suspension(?!) and
kept the mk1 body because it was rust free and took the emblem off of a
crashed mk2.  I don't know and can't get any real answers from him because
he just doesn't remember (he's pretty senile).

Anyway, sorry to turn this into a novel, but my real question is why does
my speedometer say I'm going 10 mph faster than I really am?  Does my car
perhaps have an mk2 gear box with different ratios (do they differ)?  Or
do the speedometers have some kind of way to calibrate them?

Also, does anybody want a TR6 air cleaner assy. I got by mistake?

-Nick