Re: Cracked TR-2 Head

To: "Steve Manwell" <Steve_Manwell@WE-KNOW-ENERGY.XENERGY.COM>
Subject: Re: Cracked TR-2 Head
From: gschneid@nicmad.nicolet.com (Gary Schneider)
Date: Tue, 2 May 95 15:59:01 CDT
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
>Steve Manwell wrote:
>Has anyone had experience with fixing such a crack on a TR 2/3/4 or
>other cast iron head?  TR2 heads are relatively scarce and often
>cracked, so it seems worthwhile to figure out a solution.

It seems to be an art form: Mini Cooper S cast iron heads have very little
meat between the large valves and most of them cracked. I had one that was
brazed twice and cracked three times, finally replaced the whole head.
(Still available from UK vendors.) Hardened seats may well relieve the
stress enough to prevent recurrence in your case - I didn't have enough
room for two seats to co-exist between the valves.

There's probably a wealth of experience on the mini-list because of this.
Might try a message there asking for direct response.
Address = mini-list@tibalt.supernet.ab.ca

--
Gary Schneider, Nicolet Instrument Technologies
phone: 608-276-6172, Fax: 608-273-5061, Internet: gschneid@nicmad.nicolet.com