catalytic converter in tr7

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: catalytic converter in tr7
From: Trey Valenta <fval_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu>
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 1995 13:23:01 -0400
Sorry to anyone who gets this twice from different lists....

When I got my car, a 77 TR7, the previous owner had pulled the catalytic
converter when he also put on exhaust headers.  I also knew when I got it
that it had an exhaust leak that needed to be fixed. Well, when I took it
into a local NY muffler place yesterday, they told me that NY law won't
allow them to work on a car which has had its cat removed unless they put a
new one on.  I know they can't take the cat off, but I hadn't heard of
this... but it is NY, an odd state.  Can anyone verify this law?  I know I
will eventually have to put the cat back on when I move to Seattle, but I
will burn that bridge when I come to it. Also, can someone tell me what
years cars were required to come with catalytic converters?  Did some of the
76 TR7's not have them? I seem to recall two yeas, for example, when VW
didn't put them on the Scirocco's.  I think this was 76-77, but I'm not sure.

thanks for any help.

trey

--
Trey Valenta/761 Genesee Park Blvd/Rochester, NY 14619/716.527.8233