Spitfire mpg

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Spitfire mpg
From: "George Parker" <gparker@cc.atinc.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 95 17:31:20 EST
     Greetings.  I hope someone can offer some good advice to a
     not-so-knowledgable (about tuning things, anyway) Spitfire owner.

     It's a '78 Spit 1500 and here's what I've done to it:

     Weber carb conversion (32/36 DGV - DGEV? It's got an electric choke)
     Header
     Air Pump removed
     other real minor stuff (details available if necessary)

     I tuned it by the instructions (750-800 rpm warm idle, "lean-best"
     fuel mixture done by ear as the instructions described).

     Problem:  The very best mileage I can get out of the car (being
     careful - no fun there!) is around 24 mpg, while the installation
     instructions claim over 30 (near 40?) for their test route with that
     tuning (on a '79 Spit 1500).  If I have more fun with it, I generally
     get around 20-22, but usually not much worse than that.

     Question:  Have I done something really basic wrong?  Is that as good
     as that car's going to get?  If it gets better mpg, will the
     performance suffer appreciably.

     live with the mpg, because the performance isn't bad for such a small
     engine.  But if I have done something really stupid and can increase
     the mpg while maintaining the performance level, I'll be forever in
     someone's debt.  Why not yours??

     Thanks,

     George Parker
     gparker@cc.atinc.com