Re: Starting Problem 69 Spit

To: "Scott R. Cypher" <scypher@msl.vt.edu>
Subject: Re: Starting Problem 69 Spit
From: "John M. Trindle" <jtrindle@tsquare.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 1995 10:56:40 -0500 (EST)
Cc: british-cars@autox.team.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
On Mon, 13 Mar 1995, Scott R. Cypher wrote:

[excellent stuff deleted]

> Third possibility: If you're able to crank and crank and crank and crank and
> crank, and then it starts the giving out/free-wheeling cycling, maybe the
> starter motor is overheating.  (Sounds like the most reasonable answer, given
> what I perceive you to know/tested and your description of events)

This sounds like an excellent possibility!

> Also, anything to speed up the startup would make this less of a problem.  Is
> your startup cycle when cold overly long to begin with (choke problems?)
> Would you put in an electric fuel pump so you don't have too crank to fill
> the bowls or are you a purist? I'm assuming your car is in a good state of
> tune....

The car is probably not in a perfect state of tune.  It's valve guides
are leaky and so it has to fight a bunch of pooled oil to start up.  The
rings are not great, either.  However, the timing is within spec and the
plugs are a decent color (although there are oil deposits).  She only
runs it on the weekends in excellent weather, and so it sits for a week
or two at a time (thus my theory about empty carb bowls).

I've never changed fuel pumps from one style to another... I guess I'll
need a blanking plate for the block and some sort of mounting bracket for
the electric, eh?  Or is there some sort of drop-in solution?

I lean toward being a purist (no Webers, no tube shocks on the B) but for
>her< car I'm willing to increase reliability at the expense of
authenticity.  She doesn't spin wrenches.

> (Sounds like your girlfriend got the better part of the deal, buy a car
> and get a free mechanic....Maybe that's something the the lemon law should
> incorporate)
Hee hee... I'm just learning as I go, though.

John M. Trindle     | jtrindle@tsquare.com | Tidewater Sports Car Club
'73 MGB ES (?)      | '69 Spitfire E Stock | '88 RX-7 C Stock
Home Page:  http://www.widomaker.com/~trindle