Re: [Thicko] [Vintage-race] story by Jack Drews

To: "'Mark J Bradakis'" <mark@bradakis.com>,
Subject: Re: [Thicko] [Vintage-race] story by Jack Drews
From: "Wm. Severin Thompson" <wsthompson@thicko.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2008 06:09:22 -0500
Mark, thanks for the heads up on that... I'll look into that error.

I met Jack when he'd written that story. He was hoping to have it published
somewhere, but ultimately, the Team Thicko website became the home for it.
Then I'd heard Jack had a bypass operation, and I think he still had staples
or stitches in his chest when I met him again at Blackhawk. I gave him a
Team Thicko hat, and he acted like I'd given him the Holy Grail. He was one
of the first to sport the Team Thicko logo on his racecar.

We got to know each other on and off the track. Jack described himself as an
amateur musician... a vocalist, and he, Frances, and Tony would always be in
the front row when the loosely knit Thicktones would gather and play on Sat.
evenings in Thicko Village. I drove to the Quad Cities for a number of
Jack's offseason parties, and 2 years ago, he and the family made the trek
to WI for my 50th b'day.

A funny thing about the story on the website... when I bought Redrum, my
main racecar, I had no idea it was the same car that Jack told of in the
story on my own website. I'd bought Jack's original racecar, and didn't even
know it at the time.

Jack was a hell of a racer... he'd been at it for nearly 50 years...
faithful Frances always there with him.  His son Tony is a great driver too,
and the 2 of them often had dices. What a joy that must have been... father
& son getting to race like that.

Jack was an excellent engineer, and car builder. He eeked out ridiculous
speed and handling from those old lumber wagon TR's he favored. He was
always there to help a fellow racer. He and the rest of Team Thicko's
Triumph contingent brought a whole different dynamic to the festivities, on
track and off.

We talked on the phone, just about every month during the off season,
discussing some theory or interesting idea, club politics, or plans for the
upcoming season.

I would light up when I saw the Drews show up in Thicko Village... made it
seem like home away from home when all our friends would gather at the
track. It will seem a lot less like home without him.

WST