RE: late green flag?

To: <ccanepa50@aol.com>, <team-thicko@autox.team.net>,
Subject: RE: late green flag?
From: "Wm. Severin Thompson" <wsthompson@thicko.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 06:22:58 -0500
There were all sorts of reasons, and lots of blame being tossed around
within moments of the accident. That was one that was mentioned. I agree,
the starter, and the pole determine the pace as they come up the hill at RA
after the pace car has veered off. Mid to rear pack cars at Road America
often just hit that hill flat out in order to gain ground. Hell, I've been
in mixed group races there where back pack cars are going wide open on the
pace lap on cold tires and can't keep up. I've had guys muscling their way
through cars anticipating the green at the back of the pack even before we
hit turn 14.

In my personal opinion (and I've seen all the video 100 times), the green
flag was not shown as early as some expected (or are used to), and the folks
up front checked up right about the moment a racer (or two) were trying to
jump the start. You've got crew on the pit wall thinkin' they're at the
Daytona 500 and are shoutin' in the radio "Green! Green! Green! And all
sorts of folks are on the loud pedal early trying to gain an advantage. The
rest of the guys on the hammer as they crested the hill just kept piling in
to it all.

I've seen plenty of drivers ignore flags. The front runners, ahead of the
wreck, kept racing for a turn or two after the incident.

Until a green flag is shown, there is no race.