1275 Cam bearing clearances

To: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>, team-thicko@autox.team.net
Subject: 1275 Cam bearing clearances
From: Ron Soave <soavero@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 07:38:48 -0700 (PDT)
The first action (after this email) is to call the
machine shop tomorrow, but:

Installing a camshaft last night on a block with new
Vandervell cam bearings, the cam was too tight.
Micrometer on 1st and last bearings showed ~zero
clearance.  APT website says:

"After the bearings are installed there are usually
high spots that bind the cam a little and the best way
to try and deal with them is to go over  them with a
kitchen scouring pad which scuffs them up just a
little and normally does the job.  If there is a tight
spot you may need to look for the shiny spot on the
bearing and carefully remove it with a bearing
scraper."

This seems a little unscientific.  In several previous
rebuilds, I have not had this problem, so the phrase
"there are usually high spots" is new to me.  Machine
shop is reputable, camshaft is reputable, bearings are
reputable, I am questionable, and don't want to take a
scotchbrite or dingleball hone to a bearing surface.
I haven't wiped a cam yet and don't want to start now.
 Any opinions/experiences?

'hopper