any jazz lovers out there?

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>, <team-thicko@autox.team.net>
Subject: any jazz lovers out there?
From: "Wm. Severin Thompson" <wsthompson@thicko.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 20:40:46 -0500
So, it was 1973, as a young high school trumpet player, that I first saw
Maynard Ferguson.

He'd burst on the scene as a stratospheric high note player with Stan Kenton
in 1950. He worked on n soundtracks in Hollywood in the mid 50's. . Later
on, he led the Birdland Dream Band. In the late 60's and early 70's, he
lived in India and England. He put a band back together in England, and had
a hit with his version of McArthur Park. He brought that band back to the US
in the early 70's. The English musicians were soon replaced my the best of
the best of recent grads of American Universities such as North Texas State,
and the Berklee School of Music. It was in this timeframe that I saw him at
Rolling Meadows High School. I was a lead and jazz soloist trumpet player,
and Ferguson's phenomenal range just killed me.

For a while, I had thoughts of working very hard, and trying to make his
band, but extended life on the road, in a bus, with a bunch of other guys
appealed to me about as much as 6 weeks of wrestling in gym class.  I took
up guitar, started singing, and made a very good living with a modest amount
of success for 10 years, playing clubs, jingle, and studio work. In various
bands, I'd pick up the horn for a quick 24 bars, but I really ceased any
serious trumpet playing in the late 70's.

Maynard had a pop top 10 single in 1978 with his Theme from Rocky. The album
Conquistador was Grammy nominated. I'd go out of my way over the years to
see him whenever he was in the area.

Today, at 77 years of age, Maynard's still touring, with his band Big Bop
Nouveau. I saw him last Oct., and after 30+ years off the horn, I once again
found my inspiration to pick up a trumpet and start playing again.

I've seen him twice since, and through some circumstances, had the
opportunity to do some promotional work with them through my vinyl graphics
business. We'd been talking about having me produce a show or two in Oct. in
WI when the band was once again in the area.

Last Sunday, the band called me, needing a favor. Their date in MI on May
6th had been cancelled, and needed some help trying to locate a venue on
short notice. I've managed to book the band at Fond du Lac High School. The
Fond du Lac area, and the Fox Cities have a long tradition of supporting
live jazz, and I'm confident that even with short notice, we're going to
have a successful show.

The concert is May 7th, a Sunday night, 7:30 PM. Tickets are $15.
Additionally; Nancy and I will be hosting a Thicko party at the Dream Farm
for Maynard & the band. That will either take place Sat. the 6th, or Sunday
afternoon.

Any of you jazz fans would like this show. Even at 77, Maynard still plays
in amazing fashion. His band, as usual, is smokin'. You all are not only
invited to the concert, but to the party as well. Let me know if you're
interested, and I'll get you specific information.

For a little video history, look at

<http://www.dailymotion.com/relevance/search/maynard%20ferguson%20trumpet/1>

Wm. Severin Thompson

wsthompson@thicko.com