Re: hobby dweeb questions

To: "Wm. Severin Thompson" <wsthompson@thicko.com>,
Subject: Re: hobby dweeb questions
From: "jrhill" <jrhill@chorus.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 12:31:23 -0500
Someone claiming to be "Wm. Severin Thompson" wrote:

> So, I hear that slot car racing has gone digital. 1/32nd systems that
allow
> something like 6 cars on track at the same time. The track gets full
voltage
> all the time, and little transponder in each car get the control signals.
> Passing is accomplished with a lane change gizmo on the controller and
there
> are lane switching sections of track.

I'm surprised to hear that this is a "recent" development, since the model
railroad folk have been using full-voltage power and digital controls for a
couple of decades now. Can trains really be leading cars into the digital
age?

> Anyone have some personal experience, or suggestions on this topic?

When I worked at Automech, a foreign car repair/accessories shop in
Riverside CA in the mid-60's, the owner had built a slot car replica of
Riverside Raceway for 1/32 scale cars and if you showed up during the week
before the Times GP for sports cars, you could race slot cars against the
visiting GP drivers. THAT was cool.

Spent a wasted semester building a twin-engined Maserati Tipo 151 slot car .
. . went like stink down the back straight but couldn't get around Turn 5 at
speed without flipping into the wall.

Jim Hill