to the board of directors

To: "Rick Cook" <rccook@voyager.net>, "Rick Cook"
Subject: to the board of directors
From: "Wm. Severin Thompson" <wsthompson@thicko.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2002 12:09:53 -0600
To the VSCDA Board of Directors,

At the outset, let me thank all of you for your efforts on behalf of the
membership of the VSCDA. In my experience, the racing of VSCDA is
significantly more competitive, safer, and of higher caliber than any other
vintage race group. I offer my comments as constructive criticism in some
areas that in my opinion need attention or improvement.

It's no secret that I am rarely shy at voicing my opinions, and in many
cases, my opinions reflect those of many Team Thicko members. Other times,
my opinions are purely my own.  It has been my experience that constructive
criticism has been met with strongly defensive postures, and even personal
attacks. It's my opinion that far too much of VSCDA policy and direction has
been determined by a very chosen few, with very little communication to the
general membership, as well as "selective" communication between board
members with certain opinions, while leaving others completely out of the
loop. I have volunteered many hours of my own time, money and effort over
the past years, and believe I am qualified to make these comments. For that
matter, anyone with a membership card is qualified, and should be encouraged
to voice opinions.

I believe the VSCDA has many challenges in front of it. It is a competitive
"business" environment... not just between other vintage race organizations,
but even more generally, and perhaps more importantly, for the disposable
income of  racers. These are tough times for many, and it is our challenge
to make our events represent real value. I believe that at times, our
efforts lack leadership, direction, and imagination. Every member deserves
to be treated with respect, and personal attention... whether they're well
known, well connected, well liked, or a complete stranger to most.

One of the highlights of recent years, was the event at Grattan where the
board of directors were not only introduced, but dished out the food at the
food fest under the tent. Board members, officers, group reps, and event
chairs need to be extremely approachable to the general membership.

Events...

Grattan continues to be an event with a great balance of tracktime,
trackside activities, after race hours fun, great venue, and the perception
of a great value.

The decision to cancel IRP seemed to be influenced by a select few. There
are those that loved the track, and those that didn't care for it, yet it
was fairly well attended. The amount of organization of sponsors, charities,
off track activities, food, spectators that were associated with that event
were unmatched by any other VSCDA event. Chuck Maranto really deserves
recognition for his efforts, and I believe the cancellation was a shame. I
have heard some say the event lost money... but if that is the criteria
used, then certainly Mid-America was a disaster.

Mid-America was too far for too little value, at a track that was fun to
drive, but not particularly good to race. I have made my comments and
suggestions directly to the event chair, and will not go into specifics
here. (I feel the same way about driving Gingerman...just my opinion... you
mileage may vary. As the driver of a small bore car, I enjoy tracks where
high horsepower cars give back some of their advantage with hard braking,
and tight turns, not a series of sweeping carousels and "S's", followed by a
long straight.)

I believe 3 races in Michigan are one too many. It's been widely rumored
that SVRA/HSR has its own set of problems, and I would hope we are making an
attempt to secure an event at Mid Ohio.

ELVF Road America is always a great event... the only change I'd suggest, is
make it 3 days. It is always a privilege to race that historic track, and in
my opinion, it's the VSCDA that should be running the May event, thus giving
us another opportunity to race there. Some may suggest the BRIC as our
second yearly opportunity... but it is clear we are only along for the ride
there, and have little input.

Blackhawk Classic has degenerated significantly in the last few years.
Blackhawk, despite it's crude accommodations, is a fun track to drive. The
event seems to have lost it's focus... lost its way. Is there a theme? The
fly in seems to be an afterthought, with little or no effort in getting the
racers and flyers together socially, or even just to appreciate the
respective machinery. It's been years since the vintage motorcycles were
present. Again, there seems to be a lack of leadership and imagination.

We have been approached for a number of years (and I have passed along the
correspondence without any report as to follow up) to work with the folks of
VARAC to get a cooperative US Canadian relationship between the two
organizations involving their race at Mosport, and some of ours. Seems like
with a little bit of creative thinking, it's a "win-win" proposition.

Finances...

I have asked in the past for a balance sheet of our various events in the
newsletter. That request was met with resistance... the main reason stated
that we'd rather not let other tracks know what we're paying for any
specific weekend. Why not a "bottom line" report?

Enduros...

I am extremely pleased to see the additional (significant) cost of the
Victory Lane USRRC no longer draining track time, and a series of low cost
enduros once again planned at many of our events. This is a perfect example
of some creativity and leadership, and imagination. We've had "themes".
We've had races in memory of friends that are no longer with us. We've had
challenges based on displacement. We've had reverse gridding. We've had
luncheons post race that brought racers and crew together immediately
following the race. Bravo... more of this please. This is tracktime. This is
value. This is fun.

Featured Marques, Marque challenges, Guests of Honor, or specific themes add
excitement and value to an event. More please.

Driver's Committee...

I am in favor of posting all driver's activity reports, and publishing them.
It is my hope that the application of our rules, and administration of any
sanctions is made without regard as to "status", "visibility", or
"influence". I also am in favor of a vehicle involved in any incident (with
the exception of serious injury or death) be made available for inspection
of any racer. There is often lots to be learned by post incident
inspection... and if a racer chooses to race with us, he should expect
scrutiny after an incident.

Tech

I think tech has done a very good job for the most part.I'd like to see some
clarifications in our classes, and a racer's entry should be compared to the
car presented to see if indeed it belongs in that class. I do believe there
are far too many cars where the roll bar height is a serious safety issue.
Perhaps, to start, all annual techs require the driver to sit in the car
with his or her helmet on. At the risk of overstating the obvious, the
recent Group 2-8 classification debacle was handled very poorly. It managed
to alienate a number of people who have made investments in specific cars to
run in their chosen class. There are many who have related their displeasure
to group reps, but I believe you should assume that there are far more that
were unhappy with those decisions, and either choose not to voice their
opinions, or just will choose to stay away, or race elsewhere.

Summary

There needs to be far less closed door back room decisions made. There needs
to be a friendlier tone set in all communications between the club and its
membership. Here's a perfect example... how many times do event chairs,
officers, or board members get up in front of those attending a post race
meal and welcome the racers, or thank them for attending? Perhaps the event
chair of the next event on the schedule should be up front promoting his
event? I'd also suggest 2 board meetings per year, while encouraging the
attendance of the general membership for at least one of them.  There needs
to be published policies, rather than reactionary decisions taken. Board
members should have e-mail addresses posted in the newsletter and on the
website.

I will be attending the board meeting.

WST