Rear ride height

To: team-thicko@autox.team.net
Subject: Rear ride height
From: Gregory_Schulz@mil-elect-tool.com
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 16:22:29 -0500

A PO lowered my car "substantially" some years ago.
The tricky business is trying to figure out how he did it.
Remember, I've only owned this car just over a year,
and it's been packed away for 6 months...

P185/75R13 street radials rub the hell out of the top
outside lip of the front fenders, but the A70 Hoosiers
just clear ok. Can live with that since the street radials
don't smoke too much if we're running hard in the wet -
wore all the excess rubber off at GingerMan last May!

The rear is more of a concern, and I'm not sure what to
look for or do. At IRP there was violent bottoming of the
axle on the rear floor pan & "testing" on country roads
is far worse! (there's no bottoming at GM, BF, RA)

The area of concern is the brackets on top of the axle
to which are attached the "rebound straps", leaf springs,
and the radius arms. The rubber bumpers on top of the
brackets are gone of course which yields a clearance
of 'maybe' 1 inch between the brackets and floor pan.
Ain't nearly eeeeenuf!

Is some of the lowering in back due to the competition
3 leaf spring setup? How do I effectively raise the rear
of the car to get another 3/4 or 1 inch of upward free
axle travel?

Greg
58 Sprite
Cedarburg, WI