Re: crank shaft

To: "Jon Paschke" <birdman@lightspeed.net>,
Subject: Re: crank shaft
From: "Mike & Kerry Gigante" <mikeg@vicnet.net.au>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2000 23:27:32 +1100
The EN40 crank was used in the thin-flange 1275 blocks.
EN16 cranks were used in the rest of the spridget motors.

Many racecars are built with EN16 cranks. They will last
a *long* time if the motor is balanced and you keep it
below about 7200 rpm. Try and make it a 0/0 crank or a
10/10 crank if you plan to rev it out like this.

I've been using the same EN16 crank for 4 or 5 years of
competition and the previous owner also did a few seasons.
I've kept it to below 7200 except on 2 or three desperate
occiasions where it went to 8000.

There are folk who regularly use 8000 or more with the EN16
crank and they seem to get a season or two out of it before it
either fails or is retired after a crack-test. Those last revs seem
to make all the difference to reliability and life.

 If you find a good EN40 crank, then that's great, but
the EN16 crank is pretty good too.

Just get it crack tested when you build the motor and it should
be hunky-dory

Mike