Re: [Spridgets] Springs?

To: "Bill L." <Zormecteon@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Springs?
From: Weslake1330 via Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2020 17:20:50 +0100
Cc: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>

--000000000000985bbc05adde52e2

Might not so much be a bad spring but a mis-matched pair you have been
sold.  I know its a PITA but I would swap the springs from one side of the
car to the other and see if the ride height difference also transfers
sides.  if it doesn't you have some other problem (damaged wishbone and pan
or whatever) that's the issue.

Spring rates can vary along with spring height so while spacing the
wishbone pan is attractive and my first though until I read what Chuck
says, he is right, don't space the wishbone pan on a single side.

Regards

Daniel

On Wed, 26 Aug 2020 at 19:50, Bill L. via Spridgets <
spridgets@autox.team.net> wrote:

> Hello Spridgets,
>
>   Soooo... I had the front end rebuilt last year. The car (Sprite MK
>   III) sits too high in the front, visually. The bottom of the fender
>   is about 2 3/4" above the top of the tire on the left (driver) side
>   and 3 1/4" above the tire on the right side. ...
>
>   I see the the workshop manual that there were actually 3 different
>   length springs from Bugeye to Mk IV with a total difference of about
>   1/2", tho the load rating never changes. I only see two different
>   springs offered for sale.
>
>   So, a few  questions.
>
>   A) how far above the tire should the bottom of the fender be? Could
>   someone (multiple people) measure and report?
>
>   B) Should I just lower the spring pan 1/2" on one side to get the
>   car to sit level? Is there a downside to this (It IS a cure for
>   "bachelor lean" and I had it like that before the front end rebuild)
>
>   C) Has anyone had custom springs made, and if so where and does the
>   company have records to get another set made up?
>
>   D)If I get a set made up, should I then go ahead and have different
>   lengths made to make the car sit even? or go with the spring pan
>   lowering?
>
>   E) Does taking a set amount (say 1") from the length of the spring
>   lower the by exactly that amount, or is there some other effect
>   going on to make it some multiple or a fraction of the 1"?
>

>   I know there are some racers out there who have lowered the front
>   end much more than stock. What's the method .. Spring pan? Spring
>   set? or something else?
>

> --
> Best regards,
>  Bill                          mailto:Zormecteon@comcast.net
>

> The worst thing about censorship is __________.
>
> ------------------------
>
> spridgets@autox.team.net
>
> Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
> Suggested annual donation: $12.75
>
> Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/spridgets
> http://autox.team.net/archive
>
> Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/spridgets/weslake1330@gmail.com

--000000000000985bbc05adde52e2

ou have been sold.=C2=A0 I know its a PITA but I would swap the springs fro=
m one side of the car to the=C2=A0other and see if the ride height differen=
ce also transfers sides.=C2=A0 if it doesn&#39;t you have some other proble=
m (damaged wishbone and pan or whatever) that&#39;s the issue.<div><br></di=
v><div>Spring rates can vary along with spring height so while spacing the =
wishbone pan is attractive=C2=A0and my first though until I read what Chuck=
 says, he is right, don&#39;t space the wishbone=C2=A0pan on a single side.=
mail_attr">On Wed, 26 Aug 2020 at 19:50, Bill L. via Spridgets &lt;<a href=
=3D"mailto:spridgets@autox.team.net";>spridgets@autox.team.net</a>&gt; wrote=
:<br></div><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.=
8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">Hello Spridget=
s,<br>
=C2=A0 Soooo... I had the front end rebuilt last year. The car (Sprite MK<b=
r>
=C2=A0 III) sits too high in the front, visually. The bottom of the fender<=
br>
=C2=A0 is about 2 3/4&quot; above the top of the tire on the left (driver) =
side<br>
=C2=A0 and 3 1/4&quot; above the tire on the right side. ...<br>
=C2=A0 I see the the workshop manual that there were actually 3 different<b=
r>
=C2=A0 length springs from Bugeye to Mk IV with a total difference of about=
=C2=A0 1/2&quot;, tho the load rating never changes. I only see two differe=
nt<br>
=C2=A0 springs offered for sale.<br>
=C2=A0 So, a few=C2=A0 questions.<br>
=C2=A0 A) how far above the tire should the bottom of the fender be? Could<=
br>
=C2=A0 someone (multiple people) measure and report?<br>
=C2=A0 B) Should I just lower the spring pan 1/2&quot; on one side to get t=
he<br>
=C2=A0 car to sit level? Is there a downside to this (It IS a cure for<br>
=C2=A0 &quot;bachelor lean&quot; and I had it like that before the front en=
d rebuild)<br>
=C2=A0 C) Has anyone had custom springs made, and if so where and does the<=
br>
=C2=A0 company have records to get another set made up?<br>
=C2=A0 D)If I get a set made up, should I then go ahead and have different<=
br>
=C2=A0 lengths made to make the car sit even? or go with the spring pan<br>
=C2=A0 lowering?<br>
=C2=A0 E) Does taking a set amount (say 1&quot;) from the length of the spr=
ing<br>
=C2=A0 lower the by exactly that amount, or is there some other effect<br>
=C2=A0 going on to make it some multiple or a fraction of the 1&quot;?<br>
=C2=A0 I know there are some racers out there who have lowered the front<br=

=C2=A0 end much more than stock. What&#39;s the method .. Spring pan? Sprin=
g<br>
=C2=A0 set? or something else?<br>
-- <br>
Best regards,<br>
=C2=A0Bill=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =
=C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 =C2=A0 mailto:<a href=3D"mailto:Zormecteon@comcast.net=
" target=3D"_blank">Zormecteon@comcast.net</a><br>
The worst thing about censorship is __________. <br>
------------------------<br>