Re: [Spridgets] Motor removal

To: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Motor removal
From: Ron Soave <soavero@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 05:13:05 -0700 (PDT)
--- On Tue, 8/26/08, Matt Hagopian <mhagopian@hoppetool.com> wrote:
> conservative redline is 7500rpm and a race redline is
> 9000rpm. Im thinking
> about using an 8000rpm msd chip.. any thoughts?

Matt,
I don't know the particulars of Bud's engine (for the uninitiated, every race
car is known as the previous owner's car until you sell it; then it becomes
known as yours). I raced with Bud and the previous owner Kris Larsen for a few
years. That motor was always pretty bulletproof. My seat of the pants opinion
is that the motor was way too tractable to be a 9000 RPM motor. It could be
driven around the paddock relatively easily, and a race Sprite motor would have
way too much cam for that. Aside from the power curve, I'm not pretending to
know the true mechanical limits of the engine - what the crank can handle, when
valves float, etc. If it were me, I'd start at 6500-7000 RPM and go from there
after learning about how happy it is at that RPM. Obviously, if your guess at
8000 is wrong, it's an expensive and fun-ruining guess. I drove another racer's
Spridget last week and was pretty close to his best times within a few laps,
shifting 1000-1500 RPM less
 than he usually does. Your lap times in that car lie in the brakes and
suspension.

Have fun with it,

Ron