Re: Katrina, Malbu and other desasters (absolutely no LBC)

To: Jim Johnson <bmwwxman@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Katrina, Malbu and other desasters (absolutely no LBC)
From: Jim Juhas <james.f.juhas@snet.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2007 19:10:08 -0500
At various times, I have felt the same way regarding United Way and
their decisions about how money is distributed.  And it's true that
designating it on the donor card effectively does nothing, except that
*YOUR* money goes to the particular agency, but it gets balanced out.
That's because the United Way Allocation Committee decides.  But this
too: if you contribute to an organization that receives funds from UW,
that donation as well gets figured in to the UW consideration.  The UW
Allocation Committee also evaluates other sources of money for member
agencies, and it often makes a difference in the allocation.

While this sounds draconian, consider this process is usually managed by
good-hearted people who volunteer their time to try to make good
decisions on how to use limited resources to help the most people in the
most need.  I have been on all sides of this issue: as an employee, a UW
volunteer, board member, board member of an agency funded in part by UW,
and a donor.

Keep an open mind.