Was jack stands - back to thrust washers

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Was jack stands - back to thrust washers
From: Adrian Jones <adrianjones747@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2006 22:56:35 -0500 (EST)
Hi Folks,

First off, many thanks to the kind people who responded to the question of jack
stands and/or ramps.  I'm glad it started a big discussion on the safety
aspects of working on these cars.

I decided to stick with jack stands - two 3 ton stands under the front cross
member (and then two 2 ton stands slid back under the frame, as back up.  I
also put the scissor jack back under the front cross member.  Back wheels are
chocked, front and back.  Hand brake is on, car in gear.

I think that is the hard part about replacing the bearings/ thrust washers from
underneath - safely supporting the car before you crawl under.

Anyways, using a feeler gauge, the crankshaft endfloat, measured between the
rear main bearing housing and the counterweight (?) is 49 minus 40 = 9 thou.
ie within spec ( 0.006 to 0.014).  I used a clean mini crow bar to slide the
crank back and forward.

I am going to replace the main bearing (oil pressure goes down to 10 psi when
hot, idling) and leave the thrust washers well alone.   The big end bearings
where repaced a couple of years ago.

What do you think.

Merry Christmas, one and all!

Adrian, 1500 Midget