Re: Jack stands or ramps? Surprise me.

To: "Brad Fornal" <tequila.brad@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Jack stands or ramps? Surprise me.
From: Larry Macy <lmacy@phillymgclub.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 20:22:28 -0500
Good warning story Brad.

Now about 1978 I had a Capri (the German one) I was replacing the
clutch in. Up on stands. Not ramps. About 11 PM, my then-wife,
daughter, friend and his gf decided to head up to the house. I had one
bolt in the tranny to put in then bolt up the drive line. So I said go
ahead. No sooner than I said than the car came off the stands. I was
on my side on a creeper and shoved to get out. Didn't make it. The car
came to a rest on one wheel, one stand, and me, on my side, on the
creeper. Remember what they say about life and flashing and before the
eyes, I swear it's true. The car was actually moving when I breathed.

Fortunately they had not left, my bud grabbed the jack and had the car
off me in a flash. Only real damage I had was I broke my collar bone.
So off to a couple hours in the emergency room. Oh and I had to
explain to my boss the next day why my car was in the middle of his
shop, on a single stand and a jack. They pulled it out with a fork
lift, but they didn't finish it. I had to go back a couple weeks later
and get it. No sympathy at all.

Larry

--

Larry B. Macy, Ph.D.
macy@bbl.med.upenn.edu

arriving safely in an attractive and well kept body, but to skid in
sideways, Margaritas in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally
worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!"

believed to be clean.