RE: bright 6 volt bulbs

To: "'Dick Byrne'" <lindalnhvt@nhvt.net>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: bright 6 volt bulbs
From: "Bud Osbourne" <abcoz@hky.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 10:18:59 -0500
Dick,
This is a frequently discussed topic on the 356Talk List, since all but
a very few Porsche 356s were originally equipped with 6 volt electrical
systems.  While some guys fall into the trap of converting to 12 volts
(over $1000 to do it right, on a 356), the "smart money" is focused on
reaching (re-establishing, actually) the full potential of the 6 volt
system.  Assuming you've already gone completely through your truck's
electrical system and cleaned/tightened all electrical connections
(particularly the ground connections), found, removed and correctly
spliced (soldered) any and all "crimped" connectors (crimped electrical
connections are the hallmark of the "turkey" or "putz" school of
automotive electrical systems "maintenance"), and cleaned all corrosion
off of/out of bulbs/bulb sockets.  Another trick is to paint tarnished
reflectors, in tail light housings, gloss white, which greatly enhances
the brightness of the same bulb.
One point to be stressed is that 1950s pick up trucks were, usually,
pretty marginal in the area of tail lights.  You may want to look into
some sort of ad-on system (easily removable for shows) for safety's
sake.
Vintage Truck Magazine has some excellent articles on making vintage
trucks safe for modern driving situations, without compromising the
"vintage flavor" of your truck.
Bud Osbourne