Re: Bugeye door panels

To: bugeye@yahoogroups.com, iamawolverine@yahoo.com,
Subject: Re: Bugeye door panels
From: b-evans@earthlink.net
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2006 09:09:28 -0800
Jerry...

Go ahead and use the black ribbed rubber pieces from either Lowly or
Horribly Dumb.  They are three ribs different from the original, but I
put that material next to shards of my original, and not even noticeable.

Now to color.  I have found that it is easy-peasy using the Rust-o-lem
spray paint for plastic available at the above suspects.  Be sure to
first use the plastic primer.  Then you can choose from one of the four
or five final colors.  I found that its red was almost identical to the
original interior rubber and vinyl, as well as to the new seat
upholstery I got from AH Spares (can't vouch for the match to colors
from other suppliers).

Use a piece of large butcher paper or a couple of paper grocery bags,
slipping it  into the pocket to make a tracing.  You only need to make
one IF you remember to reverse sides for the other door (yes, I made
another trip to HD to buy more rubber).

Now comes the tricky part.  Some people might be tempted to use rubber
cement.  DON'T.  The problem is getting your new panel inside the pocket
and not having the two sides contact and become permanently stuck.
Instead, get the DuPont Tub & Tile caulk in a tube (one tube per door).
Make long squiggly lines of the cauld over the inside, then smooth it
out to completely cover the metal (a large putty knife will do the
job).  Then, roll your panel up from the bottom with the ribs on the
inside of the roll.  Bend the roll enough to get it inside the top of
the pocket and roll it down.  Finish it up by smoothing out any bumps or
bulges.  When the caulk dries, it ain't gonna move.

Worked for me.

Buster Evans