Re: 58 Sprite progress report

To: Peej Noggin <jax2a@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: 58 Sprite progress report
From: Frank Clarici <spritenut@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 21:10:07 -0500
Peej Noggin wrote:

>   I'm also curious about what
> coating you used and what did you do to protect the hollow areas such as
> inside the rocker/sills and the frame tubes.

Inside the sills I used Eastwoods Corless paint, brushed on where ever
you can't get to once welded up. I will also Waxoyl all those areas once
it's painted.
The whole car is (or will be) given 2 heavy coats of epoxy primer over
the bare metal.
The underside was also finished in some left over VW white paint to seal
the epoxy and give it a finished look.
I do NOT use autobody seam sealer, but being a building contractor, I
found Solar Seal (brand) caulk to be about the best stuff out there to
seal anything. It goes on easy, can be smoothed with a wet finger,
cleans up with thinners and will fill 1/4" holes without sagging. It
comes in colors too. Works great around windows and roof leaks too ;)
Although not cheap, it's still 1/2 the price of seam sealer and easier
to work with.

--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ