Spridget Friends of MGB's

To: "Spridgets Digest" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Spridget Friends of MGB's
From: "Norm" <twobees@sprynet.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2006 11:05:00 -0400
Happy Labor Day y'all!

I want to thank all of you who not only went to eBay to look at my MGB, but
also to those who "came to my defense" when Mike jabbed me with the
"commercial?" post.

Mike said that in jest.  But, he is correct in that this is not a commercial
board & should not be used to generate a business profit.  And, I sure
wasn't trying to generate a profit.  While my business is vintage racecars,
as Advertising Manager of Vintage Racecar magazine, the building & racing of
the vintage cars is far from a business as you all know.

As Kent said, "If I ever sell my Bugeye I will let the list know because you
guys understand what goes into this hobby. I don't think that a profit would
be in the cards but wouldn't you like to know if a solid, well-defined car
is available from somebody that you sorta knows comes up for sale?"  He's
correct.  If I'm looking for a good Spridget or Spridget parts, this list is
the first place I'm going to make inquiries.

Needless to say, selling my B was not a venture to generate a profit, just
to minimize the loss.  Try over $40,000 spent over 10 years in upgrading the
B & making it as bulletproof as it is.  Then looking at the final sales
price of $9,402.  Seems like a bit of a negative profit whouldn't you say?
But, that's why it's a hobby.  I used to race sailboats & that was similarly
"profitable."  And, similarly fun.  Bottom line - it's the price we pay to
enjoy our hobby.  Yes, I know.  I could have sold the car alone & then all
of the related additional parts separately on eBay, & probably made more
money.  But, how long would that have taken?  I need room NOW.  So, my loss
is Hayes Harris' gain.  But, if I had to pick a dealer to sell to, it would
be Hayes.  He has a great appreciation of & love for British cars.  Just
visit his shop or meet him at an event & you know that.

Now that the B is going, I'm going to have more time to spend on my Turner.
That means more time on this list.  And, soon the new 948 Spridget engine in
the Turner will be ready for "Prime Time."  So, see y'all at the races here
in the southeast.  Although my next planned race is at the VSCCA Fall Finale
at Lime Rock on October 6 & 7, it won't be with the Turner.  But, if any of
you are there, look for #478, a red Alfa Spider.  (Yes, I know.  It's the
competition.  But, I've owned 3 other Alfas over the years.  I love them
too.  My tastes are a bit ecclectic.)

Norm Sippel
'59 Turner