rear axle upgrade

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: rear axle upgrade
From: BCAH@aol.com
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 19:14:06 EDT
I'm doing the 'ol up grade to a 1275 in the BI and got to wondering  about
the rear end. I'm  not sure if the PO just put wire wheel half shafts  into a
disc wheel assembly or not and many folks have been kind enough to send  me
measurements to identify the assembly.  Unfortunately, all the  measurements
have
been different.  It is my  understanding that the  wire wheel shafts are
shorter and therefore do not fully engage the  differential. So far,so good
with
the 948 but I am wondering about the massive  power of the 1275. What have
folks
been doing?  Some have suggested   pressing out the shaft  from the splined
knockoff , making it all longer.  Does it really make that much of a
difference? Do the shafts actually touch each  other inside the diff? Is there
a bolt on
splined hub which instantly converts a  solid wheel one to a wire wheel one?
I've seen stronger axle shafts advertised  but only for solid wheel ones. One
chap I spoke with in the UK said there were  really only very few (1700 or so)
true wire wheel cars with the 1/4 elliptic  axle. Any thoughts out there?
Bob C in Kansas