Help Needed Moss Motors Float - URL of Pic Attached

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Help Needed Moss Motors Float - URL of Pic Attached
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 01:15:55 EST
Finally sorted out a carb problem on my Sprite.  The front fuel bowl was not
getting fuel.  It was faking me out because I could cause the needle to open
with very very light pressure from my airhose. I mean pressure so light that it
would not even power an airbrush.  It would open fine under this pressure --
but then I realized that it would not open based on the pressure I created
just blowing into it.  And this is the lighter pressure necessary for the valve
to open while in operation.  I had another needle - so I put it together with
new floats for each carb.  The front carb ran smooth in tandem with the rear
carb for a while then the float bowl began to spurt fuel out of the relief
hole.
 So I figure I am on the last lap home in terms of getting my carbs running
smoothly again.

It appears that all I need to do is find a way to make a small adjustment on
the float so it will close off earlier.  The problem is that these new floats
(from Moss Motors) "appear" to be set from the factory so that you cannot
adjust them.  Please correct me if I am wrong, but it appears that they are set
permanently.  There may be a clip or something that I need which did not come
with the floats.  I am guessing that there might be a clip that can be used
with
the two extra holes on the side which functions sort of like a shim?

A little JB Weld in the right place will raise the spot that I need just
enough so that the valve will close earlier.   I scuffed the area first and
then
added some JB Weld which after it dries I will shave down a bit.  This will
either be the fix or the JB Weld will break off and cause other problems!

Anyhow - please check out the pic I made of the float with the JB still
drying.

Possibly someone has had experience with these floats and can tell me if they
were designed to be adjusted with a shim or something?  URL in yellow.

Thanks - Kirk

1275 Bugeye

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v47/75LesPaul/AAFloat1.jpg