RE: Snow and driving which car - a Bit Late

To: "Spridgets Digest" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Snow and driving which car - a Bit Late
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 22:36:58 -0500
Sorry to be getting into this so late.  But, it's been a busy week -
Freezing temps Monday AM and a scramble getting the last of the ads in for
the April issue - feature car is a Jolus Formula Jr.

This discussion used to be more pertinent when I lived in Connecticut a bit
east of Cap'n Bob.  I used my MGB's as year-round daily drivers.  My
antidote to the metal eating chemicals was to hose down the underside when I
got home.  I had an in-garage hose bib with c. 50 degree water & a section
of graveled parking area across from the garage.  Worked fairly well.  Plus,
I gave the B's a bi-annual treatment of Corrosion-X. (Originally known as
ACF50 & only available at airplane maintenance shops.  Now available in many
hardware stores.)

The '80 B didn't have any visible rust when I sold it in '97.  And, the '66
has been needing rocker work for quite a while.  The rockers on it were
already pretty tatty when I bought it in '97.  Although I didn't see that
until we did some roll-bar work in '99.  I replaced the outer rockers.  But,
didn't have time to do more.  Now the inner piece is pretty shot.  And,
since this is my vintage racecar, I have to do the repair to keep the
chassis stiffness.

Driving the B in Connecticut snow was one of the things that pushed me to
abandon the Northeast & move to Hurricane Gulch, aka Florida.  It was tough
driving in 6" of snow in a car that has 3" of ground clearance.  Now I don't
have to contend with snow, just idiot drivers on insane roads.  The result
is I barely drive the B on public roads down here.  And, this is a car that
I usually drove 7,000 miles a year plus a few races during the year.

BTW, article in Sports Car Market says you can't have an MG that's a
competitive racecar & drive it on the street too.  While I'll never finish
first in class or group, I've usually been in the top 25% in class when I
raced, & always first of the street licensed cars.  And, my B is completely
docile & comfortable in traffic, including the rush hour crawl through Cap'n
Bob's hometown on I-95.

BTW, our March issue should be on the newsstands now.  Our featured car is
the D-Type that won LeMans in 1955.  Lucky Ed, our European Editor, got to
drive it.

Cheers!  Spring isn't far away.

Norm Sippel
'59 Turner