MC Rebuild Troubles

To: "CHRIS KOTTING" <ckotting@wideopenwest.com>
Subject: MC Rebuild Troubles
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2006 17:07:28 -0500
Cc: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Thanks, Chris,

      Interesting comments in the archives. The mixed reviews on White Post
surprised me. I went there because Apple was a disappointment and I thought
White Post had the edge on quality. They`ve been in business a long time. They
sleeved my Bugeye MC some 15 years ago. I rebuilt it and it`s still going.
     I understand that errors happen, but when I called with my concerns this
morning, the boss there sounded indifferent, said if I could come up with
standard pistons, they would make me some and I could rebuild it. I thought
just gave him 200+$ to do it right. Otherwise, "k.m.a.," more or less. At
least Apple took my buddy`s MC back and promptly replaced the pistons with
standard without a ruffle.
       Considering advice I`ve since gotten from the forum, I may have been
wrong in my concerns about  necessity for relief's on the caliper pistons.
They might work. I hope I am also wrong about the too-long MC pistons being a
fatal problem, but I doubt it.
       The way I see it now, I have a number of options: I can hope the thing
works as is (yeah); try to find or fabricate some push rods with more threads
for adjustment to accommodate the longer pistons (possible, but why ?); wait
to get the present MC out of the car, then either rebuild it raw or have it
sleeved, somewhere (Sierra sounds possible); give White Post another chance to
reconsider their attitude or make it right with the stock pistons (hmmm...);
or see if a new 7/8" bore MC might work as Moss says ( could be ?).
        Perhaps I will get more advice on the forum tonight.
       One thing for sure, if I`m correct, ain`t no blinkin` way I`m rolling
over on getting fleeced. I didn`t spend nearly 40 years as a Baltimore cop for
nothing.

          ***What about the 7/8" bore MC, does anyone know if it would work
with disc brakes?

Bert Shirey.