Re: Now THIS should work

To: "Peter C." <nosimport@mailbag.com>, spridgets@autox.team.net, midgetsprite@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: Now THIS should work
Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2006 19:18:10 GMT
It probably will, but all things being equal,
it shouldn't be required at 40F (I know you're kiddin', Pete...so no intent to
rain on your parade at all).

But I've been giving this some thought 'cause I like solving problems.

Frank never specified exactly whether the
non-start problem was one of turnover rate
or combustion-related. Or, if he did, I didn't
catch it so maybe it's a little bit o' both.

The only time I ever had a problem in this
respect with a stock driver (6 volt VW Beetle) was turnover (rate) related with
temps well down in the teens. Starter fluid
was required at the slow rate of turnover
even with a stock cam/compression ratio.
Starter fluid normally did the trick.

With my PO'd Vizardized 1340 running a
VP3 cam & 45DCOE running a "static" 11.0-1CR, the "dynamic" CR was too low
below 20F for good combustibility, despite a decent turnover rate.

Starter fluid might have helped but I never would use it on this very expensive
motor opting instead to use my back-up mobile, which at that time was a '67
Beetle (12V) with a GEX rebuilt stock 1641(?) which would start ALL the time,
extent of colder temperatures encountered in this area of the country,
notwithstanding.

You got any vacuum leaks in the induction
system, Frank??? I mean, 40F is relatively
warm and most especially so for a stock motor. "Cold circuit" working on that
Weber?

Cap'n Bob
Basic Frog

Cap'n. Bob      '60 :{)