RE: Racing on wire wheels?

To: "SDOliner@aol.com" <SDOliner@aol.com>, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Racing on wire wheels?
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2006 19:53:20 -0500
david!
first off be certain they are "true" and not "bent".  next is to br certain
evry spoke "rings" the same !  any spoke the goes "thunk" is either broken
or loose.   if you find a loose or broken spoke you will know it just based
upon the sound it makes when struck!   we just took 72 spoke competition
wires off the race '62 morgan my team mate peter drives.   competition wire
wheels have larger diameter spokes and in most cases a greater number of
spokes than a road wheel does.
for a driving school i see no reason to use wire wheels as long as you
periodically check the knock off's to be certain they stay tight!  we did
have a knock off come loose and "launch" obviously resulting in a wheel
loss at watkins glen a few years ago.
now i can tell you with sticky tires , street wheels on a fellow racer's
morgan frequently broke spokes where we never had a wheel failure while
running the competition set of same size rims!
be very carefull and listen to the instructor dealing with no name straight
into the right hand uphill!   watch for the depression in the near middle
of the turn and remember to follow the instructor's word about where to
turn into the corner and finish turning in using the compression in the
depression to complete the turn at speed!   that keeps you literally off
the outside armco to your imediate right going up the hill!
watch your mirrors for faster cars overtaking you !   be certain that if
the school you take has specific passing areas outlined to watch "there"!
usually by the end of a school you might get an open last session if you
have behaved yourself!  have fun !  you will be faster than the big cars in
the corners!

chuck.