Re: [FOT] SA2005 Helmets

To: fot@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [FOT] SA2005 Helmets
From: "spitfiresuz@141.com" <spitfiresuz@141.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 17:34:51 -0500
Sender: owner-fot@autox.team.net
Hey everyone,

I still remember a garage visit to a friend of mine who raced motorcycles.
I had stopped by while he had some friends over and he was showing them his
stuff.  He had gotten his gear out and put it on the work table during the
visit, and on the way out, one of the guys bumped his street helmet (he had
a different one for racing) and it fell to the floor from about a
three-and-a-half-foot height and landed on its top.  My friend picked up
the helmet and handed it to the guy who bumped it and said, "It's yours."

This led to about a half-hour discussion about helmets and ratings and what
multiple impact means and what SA and M designations mean.  He bought
another helmet the next day.

And a vintage racer friend once told me that helmets get bangs and bumps
over the years through hitting roll bars and accidental drops from tables
or off the back of your car, and that those bumps and bangs all add up!  He
stayed ahead of the regulations and ordered a new helmet every two years.

Bottom line is what I first heard many years ago, and hopefully all of you
know and have taken to heart: "Buy a helmet in accordance with the value
you put on your head."

Keep Triumphing,
Susan     :)