Jumpy Timing

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Jumpy Timing
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 16:45:01 EST
All,

I am trying to get my recent '73 Midget aquisition running, but can seem to
sort out the timing.  Its finally running after changing out the plugs, wires,
points, condenser, adjusting the rockers, balancing the carbs, and so on.  She
still doesn't want to run right and when I shine my timing light on the
timing marks, the thing is bouncing all over the place.  (I suppose that is why
it
likes to back-fire through the carbs.)

Checking the workshop manual, it says that this condition could be
symptomatic of a worn distributor or worm gear.

Anyone have a similar experience?  Any suggestions as to a fix?

Tim
Fuquay Varina, NC