948 Heater valve; prone to fail?

To: <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: 948 Heater valve; prone to fail?
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2005 19:25:26 -0600
I've got a heater valve, this car was a basketcase though, so prompts the
question: Are these prone to failures/leakage? Mine is as good as any used one
I imagine, looks fine, turns OK. I can see the disc inside that seals it off,
seems pretty fool-proof. The question would be the "packing" for the shaft. I
tried just a little to see if this can be disassembled, I gave up, I was going
to gar up the brass I could tell, so just stopped and thought I'd ask if I'm
worrying over nothing. As far as I can see, other than maybe a slight
clean-up, all it should need is a new mounting base and a nut to hold on the
handle.
Dan Gillitzer