RE: 948/1098 II

To: "'Ralph Heacox'" <marinaratt@hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: 948/1098 II
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 19:54:02 -0800
Cc: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Do you have an early or late 1098? What tranny are you using?  What
flywheel/clutch?  Carbs not an issue (stock H1 bug-I, or anything else)?
Now it is an issue?  Do you care that the first question anybody asks
you is "is it a 948"?    Do you live in the flat lands or mountains?  If
in the mountains do you want to climb hills at 50mph in third gear or 55
in 4th?
        If you have any doubt what engine belongs in a bug-I, go with
the 1098 and let someone who knows what they want have the 948.
        Now what I would do: 948 block/crank, 1098 pistons/rods, 1098
head, either flywheel with Datsun clutch (works better with the
5-speed).  I'll leave the cam, carb(s), exhaust, ignition, to your
imagination.
                Crash

OK...sitting on my bench is a complete 948 and a 1098. I'm going to do a

complete, pretty much, stock rebuild. I want dependability. Carburetion
is
not an issue. So which one do I rebuild to stick in my '60 and why? What

would you do?