Re: acid dipping

To: Lanier <willjan@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: acid dipping
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 21:30:42 -0500
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Lanier wrote:

> Does anyone have any experience with acid dipping or alkaline dipping?

No personal experience and I have heard pros and cons. the cons being
unrinsed acid eating its way thru the metal and/or creeping out of nooks
and crannies after the fact. I would think it would dry up long before
the finish paint was applied even at the pace I work at.
Others said it is the way to go but it is not cheap.
I had a car media blasted at a shop, back then it was about $300.
What I saw was a shiny bare metal Austin ready for primer.
So they did the etch priming too. I was, and still am happy with the
outcome.
I have used chemical strippers at home and burned my arms, and I have
sanded way too many Sprites.
Sanding (if you have a decent air compressor) is the quickest, safest,
most economical way to go.
Chemical strippers make a mess and you still have to sand.
Or check local body shops for a media blaster for they can return a
clean shell, even under the bonnet will be new looking metal.

--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ