Re: Vinyl adhesive

To: "Tim L. Creger" <timlc@agr.state.ne.us>, "Spridget list" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Vinyl adhesive
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2002 15:03:31 -0500
use the 3M stuff!  either you did not have enough on the 2 surfaces or the
temperature was too low for it to tack up prior to assembly.
i used it on my car over 10 years ago and no problem.  i used it on the dash
and door pockets and all flat panels.
now!  the stuff does soak into the interior panels like mad and into the
cloth backing of the reinforcement of the vynal.  that might be a problem
resulting in a rather "dry" assembly resulting in poor adhesion.   another
problem could be too cold not having it cure enough wich would hamper
adhesion.    try again using a reasonable room temperature of no less that
60 degrees (and lots-o-ventilation unless you are into killing brain cells
wholesale!).   and allow to set up somewhere warm too!  use wooden paint
stirring sticks and clothes pins(spring loaded type) to hold edges down
while adhesive is "curing".  do not use a clothes pin on unprotected vynal
wich has glue on reverse side!  it will make an impression in the softened
vynal(from adhesive's chemicals) wich will probably not come out!  use a
paint stick to protect thevynal!  use only wooden paint sticks as plastic or
vynal ones may be affected by the adhesive "breathing" through the new
vynal!

chuck.
not an upholsterer by trade but can hold my own if i must!  ;)....c.
OR!  been there "broke that"!school of hard knocks.....