paint prepping engine

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: paint prepping engine
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 04:44:50 -0400
Hi Folks,
Its been a while, but I've been quietly lurking and toiling
(unfortunately not on my car).  I've got a few days set a side to work
on my 74 midg with my Dad and one of the things I wanted to do was
paint the engine while it was out.  I looked on the archive and didn't
find anything specific on this so I thought I'd ask.

Does prepping just involve a good washing with solvent to remove oil
and grease or is there more to it?  Is it true that only smooth
surfaces (VC and pan) need to be primed, and that the cast metal is OK
to spray enamel directly on?

Thanks in Advance.

Mike Gagne
Chapel Hill NC