Bearing spacer shims

To: undisclosed-recipients:;
Subject: Bearing spacer shims
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2002 23:09:59 EDT
While I am waiting on my newly rebuilt head to arrive, I jacked all fours up
on the Midget and decided to do a brake job, plus check everything else out.
Also pull the wheel bearings , disassemble them, clean them, repack and
reassemble them.

Of course inside the front wheels are the familiar spacers.  Before I pulled
the bearings out, I stuck my finger inside the wheel and could fairly freely
move the spacer about.  My question is guided by a comment made by the
extremely experienced mechanic whom I consider a British car guru.  He said
there should be some very thin shims on one side or the other of the spacers.
 There were none there--is it possible the DPO forgot to replace the shims?
Where can shims be gotten?  I checked the Moss catalog blow ups and there are
none listed or pictured.  The mechanic said the shims were there to provide a
means of tightening the wheel nut so the wheel would not be riding just on
the bearings.

--David C.