RE: I'm getting bad vibrations

To: "Charles Christ" <cfchrist@earthlink.net>, "Jay Shaffer" <shaf@zenten.com>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>, <midgetsprite@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: RE: I'm getting bad vibrations
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 08:55:45 +1000
Charles Christ said:

[...]
>and while you are at it replace the stering arm bolts with new similarly
>graded or better hardware since there has been some failures in that stuff
>too! (other list members may comment on that!)

Hmm, the last fellow I know that did this speared off into the trees when
the new hardware broke. (grade 5 bolts). Wrote off the body shell (hit a
*big*
tree about 15ft off the ground, and then they fell to the ground (both
unhurt
luckily). It was a road winding along a gorge above a river.

So if you do replace the hardware, use a reputable brand.

Myself? I just reuse the existing bolts unless they show signs over
overtorqueing. If I spent enough time to look at the available brands
and saw some testing data, I'd go for new hardware, but I haven't done
that yet.

It is a choice b/n known quality but unknown load history, vs unknown
quality and no load history....

The originals are a known quantity because despite lots of racing history
on big slicks and the like, these bolts aren't a well-known weakpoint
(unlike axles/spindles etc)

Mike