re: Tires (was "Tries - help!!!)

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: re: Tires (was "Tries - help!!!)
Date: Sat, 25 May 02 12:37:06 EDT
per David...
>>I mentioned before that I am running Pierellis on my Midget.  These have been
>>great tires.  I have them on my '79 daily driver, they have been mounted for

  I had a set of 2nd-hand Pirellis P6s on an Integra and thought they
were great.  Somebody talked me into something else when I replaced them
and I was very disappointed. (Falken)

per Brian...
>>but I got to disagree with ya about the Comp T/A's, I had a set of
>>Comp T/A VR4's on my wife's 89 GT Convertible and I loved them. They stuck

  Interesting!  I've only met other people who had the HRs or TA/3s.
They liked theirs a lot too, and these were guys used to autocrossing (but
not on the TAs).  One is a 2-time national champion (not in a Mustang).
Wonder if I got an oddball set?
  Tires were bought through a local (non-tire) auto parts store (friend) who
ordered them for me.  On the way home I thought the installer must have
misread his guage and only put 20 lbs of air in 'em.  Checked at home and
they were all around 30lbs.
  I corner fairly hard and they were noisy and had much more understeer
than the Goodyear "Gatorbacks" they replaced.  Felt like "rubbery" :-)
sidewalls if you wiggled the steering wheel while driving in a straight
line.
  Took them to a real tire dealer for evaluation and he said he could feel
what I was describing.  I listened to his half of a conversation with
the Goodrich area rep and the rep told him they were "working as designed".
  No more Goodrich for me. :-(
  Oh yeah; car is all stock '88 LX 5.0 except has Bilstein shocks.
   Ed in NC