Re: Starter Motor Bendix

To: Phil Profili <Phil.Profili@cptii.com>
Subject: Re: Starter Motor Bendix
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 15:49:53 -0400
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Phil Profili wrote:

>  Here's my question:  How do I get this thing apart?  The
> manual I have for my car shows a split pin holding the whole thing
> together.  Mine has no such pin - nor is there a spring clip/nut or
> anything that appears to be removable!

You have to push the heavy spring back, remove a circlip and the nose
spring will come off.
I have done this in a vice but it's not the correct tool for the job.
A valve spring compressor may work depending on the design or a really
big C clamp with a hole drilled one end. The clamp has to be large
enough to hold the whole starter from end to end.
It's an easy job if you can compress the spring.
--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ