Re: [midgetsprite] Re: bad news! ;-( Comp test!

To: Paul Archibald <androbus@yahoo.com>, midgetsprite@yahoogroups.com, Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [midgetsprite] Re: bad news! ;-( Comp test!
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2002 21:44:32 -0700
>Not familiar with that problem! All Spridget engines? Is
>this a problem with these engines? or the pistons?

Just my experience recently. Plus if you install new rings without
removing the ridge you likely have at the top, you'll break the new
rings. As I said, everyone I oened up had weak, stuck and/or broken
rings. Even though the pistons looked reusable, I had the machine shop
check the ring lands. Every set was a "no-go" except the engine that
already had new AE's installed.

>>I hate to be break the news to you,
>> but I doubt
>> seriously you'll get away with just rings.
>
>;-(  I really don't need to hear that right now!  ;-(
>I'm bummed! I was looking foreward to tossing it around the
>corners and having a good ol' time! Now I guess I'll have
>to wait!

Not as bummed as you'd be tearing the engine down to find your plan is a
bust.

>or.....after pondering a bit.....and drinking my sole last
>beer I have been lusting after all day!  now i feel a bit
>better!
>
>.....Well you don't know me yet!  ;-)
>Seriously! some of my friends have been amazed at the luck
>I sometimes have and the things I can get away with at
>times.  It's probably worth the chance, isn't it?

I'm not saying it's impossible, but in my experience, that odds are
against you. You don't want me to tell you the whole story do you?
Better have another beer...

>> It's probably
>> a waste of tme any
>> money to try it and you'll likely end up with just a
>> disassembled engine.
>> Leave it alone until you can come up with a better
>> solution. At least you
>> can drive it now.
>Not really.....
>
>It barely gets out of it's own way to tell the truth!
>(besides...I am one of those people that have a real hard
>time leaving anything alone.....)

I can appreciate that...

>Is there any chance you can take off the head and drop teh
>pan with the block still bolted in? I have done this on BMW
>1600's and 2002's......Rover and ford v-8's

...and do what? The pistons won't come out the bottom, even if you could
get the crank out of your way with the engine in place (you can't).

......crossing
>fingers......of course I don't think I still ahve my cyl
>hones....will have to get a new one....but it's amazing
>what you can do when you're poor and are
>resourcefull.....just wanted to learn from people who have
>maybe done some of this before with this engine....by the
>way...I'd swear i saw a plate on the side of the engine
>that said 1100?  you said from teh head it was a 1275, but
>this plate was on the block....I winder what I really have
>here...I need to look again in the morning...

It is possible you have a 1275 head on a 1098 block. Look under the heat
shield and see if there are side covers on the block. If you have a
block plate that says 1100, then that's a pretty good indication. Is
there any number plate on the block (under #1 cylinder). What the
number? I can tell you more form that.

>I'm thinking of taking off the head and having a look at
>the cyl. walls for condition...than if I can drop teh pan
>and tako off the big end bolts, I can push up the pistons
>and have a look....have you done this ever?

That you can do. I've only done it with the engine out (on a stand). I
know what I'm going to find, and it's easier to do with the engine out.

>maybe I should just do as you say and let the sick pup sit
>until there is more $$ available, but I hate to just sit
>and do nothing! I guess I really should pull out the engine
>hoist and just pull the puppy? I no longer have a engine
>stand, but as it's a purty small engine, I could put it on
>the bench for rebuild, but hate doing that. I think I will
>call my friend who was talking of getting rid of his stand,
>as it's closer than driving up to Santa rosa to get the one
>from my dad......
>

>Oh! what do you think about the extremely high reading in
>#4??? What is good comp in one of these engines? I had
>giessed 150# or so?

I usually do a leak down test which tells me more about the problem.

Gerard
--
Please visit Four Points Travel -
http://www.gerardsgarage.com/fourpoints