Re: Brake drum removal

To: "Biff Jones" <biffjones@erols.com>, "spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>, <bugeye@yahoogroups.com>, <midgetsprite@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: Brake drum removal
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2002 22:57:07 -0400
well you have just become the victim of organic brake lining and humidity
over time!  the linings swelled up and the drums rusted and now have siezed
together.  heat will only distort the drums and soaking will only further
swell the old linings.  by the age of it you probably are dealing with
riveted linings!  that's a bad thing!  bonded linings tend to "shed" from
the steel shoes at this point.  keep wacking away and wiggle them off with
even force from one side to the opposite side.   they will come off but do
not be too suprised when you see the condition of the components inside.
but in order to save the rear axles and front spindles you have an up hill
battle untill drums are off.   i fear the condition of the drums will be not
any good to resurface to save.  if you save any ..great!  but usually
pitting is so deep or they have cracked from the "hydraulic " action (rust
and moisture) over time that they will be rendered useless.  sorry to be so
negative, but i was there after you!   and most of what i brought out of
there is either in need of machining to be saved or must be disposed of due
to rust.  and i have been searching for elusive saab front brake springs(for
over 8 years!)!  very hard to find and i have taken apart some hideous
assemblies for bits and pieces for my race car. the above reply is a
collective knowledge from my own searches. (sorry to be so negative
biff....)

chuck.

Subject: Brake drum removal

> I'm in need of the collective wisdom of the list.  I recently acquire a
'59
> bugeye that has sat in the elements for the last 30+ years and I can't get
any
> of the brake drums off!  None of the wheels would turn when I picked it up
and
> was winched onto my trailer with all four wheels locked up.  I want to
salvage
> the rear axle parts but first I have to get the drums off.  I've used the
BFH