Re: Tires message of Wed, 23 Jan 2002 13:01:52 -0600

To: RMueller@grumobile.uscg.mil (Mueller, Robert CDR)
Subject: Re: Tires message of Wed, 23 Jan 2002 13:01:52 -0600
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 05:41:11 -0500 (EST)
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
165/70's; better grip without "overdoing" it
on stock 4.5" wheels combined with stock
suspension (set up for 145 ot 155/80 contact patch). Should still slide
around
pretty good (but not as much) as a Sprite
should.

Larger footprint will be draggier, of course, eating up a little more
fuel and
a little horsepower also, but there is always some sort of trade-off in
any "improvement" in one area or another.
Ride will be a little rougher.

In this case, the trade offs are rather
minimal for a solid improvement in grip
and response; steering wheel input will
require a little more effort.

Going to a wider tire also means a little
more "natura"l negative camber, I believe,
from the "normal". This should
not effect straight line stability to any
great extent but will provide much better
grip in the corners. Again, minimal "tradeoff", me thinks.

Let's see what other lister recommend?

Cap'n. Bob
    '61 :{)