Re: Sta-bil (No cat content)

To: "Adrian Barnes" <adrian@workgroup.net>, "spridget list" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Sta-bil (No cat content)
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 19:36:35 -0800
My opinion:  Bite the bullet and drain it.  If it is like my '62 Sprite,
there is a drain in the center of the bottom of the tank.  Drain it, then
fill it as full as possible with fresh fuel, and add some Marvel Mystery
Oil..

I had a very bad experience with stored fuel in a 1933 Plymouth.  Fired it
up after about two years, and it ran fine.  Drove it for about ten minutes,
shut it down, and the NEXT time I tried to start it, about half the valves
were stuck open (varnish on the valve stems).  The only saving grace was
this is a flathead with no valve to piston contact possible.  It would be
much more serious on a Spridget.

-Rob
 1962 Sprite Mark II

> One thing I'll have to figure out before getting the '71 started is what
to do about the fuel tank.  The PO said he treated it with Sta-bil before
parking.  Do I just add fresh gas and go, or is there something else
required?  It was parked in about '97 and kept garaged.  Theoretically, this
could work out much nicer than having to steam the tank.  Thanks!