RE: 74 Midget Suspension Rebuild Suggestion

To: "'Mike & Missy LeGreve'" <mlegreve@powercom.net>, Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: 74 Midget Suspension Rebuild Suggestion
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2002 07:43:05 -0600
Mike,

I'd definitely replace the rear springs, made a nice difference on my '74,
and it was a relatively easy job.  I would not replace the front springs
though, unless you are sure the ones you get have the same spring rate as
the originals.  A couple of years ago I had my entire front end rebuilt, and
since I was up to my eyeballs in alligators in the Pentagon at the time, I
had Motorhead in Virginia do it (they only work on LBCs, and are a great
source of parts, much cheaper than Mo$$).  The front end rebuild was great,
car drives much better, but it now sits a just a little bit high in the
nose.  It took some time before I realized it (we had a rather hectic move),
and when I asked Jeff about it, he said they had since found out that the
only springs available were stiffer than the originals, and when they got
some new ones in at the proper stiffness, he would give me a pair for free
(or replace them free if the car was in the local area).  So, given that
regular folks like me can't really check spring rates of coil springs, I
think I would stick with the original front springs.

I've been a Motorhead customer for 15 years now, no affiliation, no
financial or other interest, but they have always done well by me, and their
prices are very competitive (703-573-3140, ask for Larry).

Bob
'74 MG Midget
'90 Porsche 944S2 Cab