Re: Another lister with possible virus problems

To: <type79@ix.netcom.com>, "Spridgets-Autox.team" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Another lister with possible virus problems
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 08:51:48 -0500
There are at least two ways.

1.  If they ever responded to a message you posted (I can't imagine you
could actually know if someone ever did or not unless you have ever only
posted like one or two messages) and your name got added to their address
book.

This can happen whether you ever got an off-list message or not. Whenever I
reply to a message from the list I use "Reply to All" and then usually
delete the individual(s). If I have the "Automatically put addresses I reply
to in my Address Book" then ALL of the addresses in the original "To:" or
"CC:" fields are added to the address book, even if they are then deleted
from the message.

For instance, if you reply to a message from AAA and BBB then does "Reply to
All" and CCC then does "Reply to All", you could be in both BBB and CCC's
address book, even though you never got a message directly from them, and in
fact the message from CCC could have been so far off topic by then theat you
never even read (let alone remember) what the message was about.

2.   Your address also could have been taken from the header of any email
saved on an infected computer that you had sent to the list, or if you were
included in the "To:" or "CC:" fields.

Hope I haven't just muddied the waters.

<dnw>