Re: 1975 Midget Trouble...HELP

To: "Greg Gowins" <cartman@dnai.com>, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 1975 Midget Trouble...HELP
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 17:37:22 -0400
Usually the run-on fans are not there to deal with head/block heating
problems per se. They are there to decrease the probability of vapor
lock in a fuel line. Basically, they are there because modern driving
patterns consist of several runs with short-duration stops in between
(donut shop, dry cleaners, bank, donut shop, video store, donut
shop...). Once the engine is shut down, coolant is not circulating.
Thus, cooling the coolant that is in the radiator has little or no
effect on the engine temp.

At 2:13 PM -0700 8/20/01, Greg Gowins wrote:
>Hi Tracey,
>
>I had a similar problem with my Sprite when I lived in Dallas.  The only fix
>that came to mind for me was installing an electric fan that was temperature
>triggered.  The fan kept running for 5-10 minutes after the engine was
>turned off.  Don't know if there are any differences between a 1275 and a
>1500 that would prevent this from working, since most modern (ie. Plastic
>buckets as Frank calls em...<grin>) cars do the same thing.
>
>Greg Gowins
>'69 Sprite
>Dublin, CA

Jeffrey H. Boatright, PhD
Assistant Professor, Emory Eye Center, Atlanta, GA, USA
Senior Editor, Molecular Vision, http://www.molvis.org/molvis
mailto:jboatri@emory.edu