Re: New Midget safe at home

To: Charles Sorkin <cdsorkin@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: New Midget safe at home
Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 17:01:04 -0400
Cc: MGs List <mgs@autox.team.net>, Spridgets List <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Charles Sorkin wrote:

> 1.  The fuel guage reads about 1/2 tank too high, meaning that when I
> stopped to fill up at what I though was 1/2 left,  Is this an
> issue with the sender, the voltage stabiliser, or the guage itself?  > Can it
>be fixed by just adding a resistor somewhere?

Possibly a bad ground at the tank, or gauge. Volt Stabilizer usually
never go bad. (note Usually)

> 2.  Drivers side window won't roll-up more than an inch.  I haven't opened
> up the door yet, but what is normally the pathology behind stuck windows?

Remove panel, spray white lithium grease on tracks. Check for
obstructions specifically not quite bolted in vent window, window
channel on latch side, or loose/unbolted winder mechanism.

> 3.  It sounds like I'm getting a high-pitched rhythmic squeaking sound from
> the front drivers side wheel, which is proportional to speed.  The wheel
> bearings themselves seem to be fine (no play when shaking the wheel), is
> this a brake issue, or related to the suspension?  Both have been recently
> rebuilt, but I'd like to get this addressed as soon a possible.

Dirt/rust on the rotors, maybe a rock stuck in the brakes, drive it in
reverse a bit and gently apply the brake.
Or wheel bearings.

> 4.  There are no seat-belts.  Should I just go with the inertia-reel belts
> in the Moss catalog?  Are any special tools required for installation?

Pep boys, lap belts, $9 a set any color.

> 5.  This is the big problem:  The transmission is extremely noisy, every
> gear sounds like 1st, or wosre.  And very clunky.  It didn't grind all that
> much going from gear-to-gear, just extremely loud.  What are the odds that
> this could simply be an issue with the clutch slave cylinder?

Tranny oil? I use straight 60 weight these days.
Or tranny bearings worn. Drive it till it quites and do a 5 speed.

> Another symptom is that when idling in neutral, there is quite a bit of >
>clutch sound with the pedal out, but the engine quiets down  > substantially
>when the clutch pedal is pressed.

Worn pilot (spigot) bushing or input shaft bearing on the tranny.
Either way it's an engine pull.
--

Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ